The Community Assessment ANd Group Evaluation (CHANGE) Coalition is dedicated to enhancing access to physical activity and nutrition for the residents, citizens, and employees of our community.
The Coalition relies on the knowledge, skills, and resources of our members to embark on new ventures that that leverage resources to promote healthy lifestyle practices in our community.
In 2015, the Coalition undertook a Community Health Assessment, interviewing 44 entities to identify policies and environmental aspects of physical activity, nutrition, and chronic disease prevention and leadership in our community.
Based on the results of the assessment, the Coalition works to:
- strengthen the bikeability of our community by improving the real and perceived safety of cycling, increasing access to cycling routes and raising awareness of shared resources,
- increase participation in walking for health and utilitarian purposes by improving the real and perceived safety of walking routes indoors and outdoors and raising awareness of shared resources, and
- increase awareness of and access to healthy food options in our community.
The CHANGE Coalition supports:
- the Walk the Hank events, guided tours of areas of interest along the Trail,
- Healthy Shelves, a system of healthy nutrition strategies for patrons at food pantries,
- advocacy for the installation of a stop light on 37th Street and National Avenue to allow safe crossing to recreational activities, and
- raising awareness of indoor walking options (e.g., Mitchell Park Domes.)
For more information or to join the CHANGE Coalition, email Judy Springer PhD or phone 414.297.7000, ext 79202.